Tuesday, September 13, 2011

School decision

Well, it's official, Hamilton Southeastern school system made the wrong decision today, that's for sure. Back in May they stated that because Jude was too intelligent he didn't qualify for services through the school. I disagreed with them and was able to get an independent evaluation done so that at least they could look at the things I thought were important and difficult for Jude. So we did that and waited for the school committee to come back to say that indeed Jude is "too advanced" to require services from the school system. (But truthfully those school therapists he worked with were only supervising Jude, not ever really providing therapy)

But I honestly believed they would do the right thing, despite how well Jude is doing in school, his disability lies in his physical capabilities not his mental capabilities. The thing is they are cutting out the bridge between what he mentally can do and what he can physically do. They say he is at a high reading level but who is going to hold those advanced books for him to read because he can't physically do it. An iPad they say works great for problems like this but do you think there's a chance that the school would provide this to Jude, I'd bet not. They're just so focused on making these kids cookie cutter kids so it's easier but they aren't thinking about the kids individually.

Though Jude is a pretty lucky guy, he seems to have a fantastic teacher who cares about Jude more than just a number. I feel really confident she's a great asset to Jude's team, I just wish she had the support from the school. She hasn't been able to do his assessments because he's been at therapy both times his group was evaluated. This week he was upset that he had such easy homework but that's only because his teacher hasn't had the time to assess and then challenge him. He's missing out on school success because he's gaining at therapy. Where do we fix this?

I probably shouldn't fight over this he has so many advantages that others don't and I should be grateful for that. But he has such potential. He has the ability to do great things and BECAUSE of his disability he has the drive to work hard and excel. I just want him to do what he wants to do whatever it is, no limitations. I thought that used to be a common goal but it doesn't seem like the case. At least not here in this school system.

Anyway, the subject seems to be tabled right now, at least unless we have a truancy problem because of the therapies. Not sure of my next step, I'm still a bit shocked at their decision. I'll start on that tomorrow maybe.

"This too shall pass"


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment