Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Adapted school tray

Today I wanted to share a struggle and a solution I had with my son. My 6 year old, right hemi son, went to kindergarten this year and w having difficulty with lunch. He wanted to buy hot lunch some of the time but didn't feel like he could do it because he has to hold, balance, and grip hard enough on the tray to get from the lunch line to his table. He felt embarrassed because he couldn't confidently do it all alone so the teacher had to do it for him or he'd risk dropping his entire lunch in the middle of the cafeteria. There solution was this:


For him to put his affected hand under the tray which opens a whole can of problems like improper habits, carryover from it, and maybe he could
So I asked the school and they allowed me to adapt the tray. And I was able to but a Velcro strap so he could feel confident carrying the tray (our rule is righty has to look just like lefty) but not fear loosing it.



Email me if I can if this would work for you too! Drhuns@yahoo.com


Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment