Sunday, June 5, 2011

Back in the Birm

Well, I finally made it back to Birmingham. It was a nice break and I keep thinking to myself, this is the last Sunday I will spend in this apartment. Next Sunday maybe I will even get to resume my mom's night off if I am lucky. Although I am sure that next week this time I will be enjoying my wine at home and that's good enough for me.

Today was a pretty uneventful day, we drove back from Nashville so a lot of time was spent in the truck. On the way home we stopped at the McWane science center and played for a couple hours. I really like it there, everything is interactive and I love just watching Jude play with everything. His wrist is so straight! They just opened a new exhibit that has giant foam tinker toys so Jude spent a lot of time in there today. The smaller balls like tennis balls used to be very difficult for him to hold because they require the whole hand to extend and grasp. But now he can walk around holding a ball that size no problem and it's all because of how much stronger he is now. Before he couldn't get his hand around it to grip because it was so hard for him to open his hand all the way. Now he's a rockstar!

Tomorrow is the big day, the cast is (hopefully!) coming off for more than just an hour. As long as Jude works hard with therapy tomorrow, Jackie is going to take off the cast before she leaves. Then he will get all week to focus on building good habits for too handed tasks. So hopefully we won't have to say "fix your wrist" or "use both hands" quite so much when we come home. I swear it feels like I say that 50 times a day! In people with strokes there is so much compensation that sometimes the brain almost forgets the affected extremity is really there. It's a catch 22, you want them to be independent but they need to be reminded to use all extremities. These poor little babes, so much to remember! I will let you all know about cast removal tomorrow but I assume it will be uneventful until the pool afterwards! Good night!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment