Monday, May 16, 2011

Today Jude got his first cast on and met his therapist Ms Jackie. He was so brave getting his cast on! He was nervous about being cut by the cast saw but luckily they only use a scissors to cut it off so it made us a little less apprehensive. But he took it like a champ and picked out a bright blue color for his cast.


Today he is working a lot on form and strength in his wrist. A lot of the time he holds his hand with his wrist flexed (like a lot of stroke patients do) because he doesn't have a lot of strength. He has learned so many adaptive tricks which is not necessarily a bad thing for when he is older. I really want him to learn the correct way now and later adapt to his needs later in life. That is one core difference between my ideas and the school system too. They think it is "not their job to teach him the correct way to do it" so long as he is functional in what he is doing. They say this is the core of a "medical model" versus "educational model". I can't say I agree with that mindset, after all if the school is not there to teach what are they there for? But that's another argument which I will get into on a less eventful day in Alabama.

Jude did great in therapy, I was amazed to see how much progress he made in just a half day. But when Jackie left was when things got hard. He doesn't understand why he has to have the cast on and why it is so hard for him to do the things he could before. He is too brave to ask anyone other than me why and it breaks my heart. Needless to say, there was a lot of spoiling today. Chili cheese fries and a butterfingers shake were on the menu for dinner tonight and that was OK with me. I am a little drained from trying to hold it all together and be strong for Jude, I can only imagine how he feels. That being said, time for me to go snuggle with Jude and hopefully get some sleep. Therapy starts bright and early tomorrow at 8:00 am.

Day 1 down, 20 more to go!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment